Pages

Thursday, November 11, 2010

A Brief History of Certified Coins

The concept of certified coins came about in the 1970's. The American Numismatic Association (ANA), a national collector/dealer organization, started a grading service called American Numismatic Association Certification Service (ANACS). They were one of the first companies to certify coins, with a third party unbiased grading opinion, while authenticating the coin.

In 1986 PCGS (Professional Coin Grading Service) and NGC (Numismatic Guaranty Corporation) a year later, started certifing coins. These two services placed their coins in protective plastic holders called slabs. Today, the top two grading services in the certified coin market are PCGS and NGC.

Certified coin grading has dramatically changed the coin market! The changes have been a positive for the collector, as well as dealers. Counterfeit and overgrading of coins were the two major issues within the coin market. I decided to support certified coin grading because I saw these services as a way of combating both issues and making the marketplace a safer environment for everyone involved.

I was one of the first coin dealers recognized as a supporter of the certified coin market. In the 1980's I published newsletters entitled, "Report On ANACS Coins," and "Report On Certified Coins."

Even though we specialize in certified coins, Morgan dollars, and GSA Carson City dollars being half our business, we also buy and sell from soup to nuts. Half-cents to commemoratives, dollars, and gold coins. I am a strong coin buyer. I need to buy coins so I have coins to sell. So if you have raw coins, certified coins, PCGS, NGC or whatever, I am a coin buyer! Give me a call! RSR COINS, your certified coin source!

No comments:

Post a Comment