Pages

Thursday, January 6, 2011

Cleaning Coins Is A DIRTY Word! Remember just one word - DON'T!

From time to time when someone walks in with a coin collection for sale, I notice that many coins have been cleaned or polished. I say, "gee it's a shame whoever put this collection together cleaned these coins", and usually the person responds, "oh I polished them to make them shiny, they looked dirty".

 I then go into my long discussion of cleaning:

Cleaning, or polishing, coins lowers the value of a coin by removing the original patina (original surface luster). Whether done on a circulated or uncirculated coin, removing the original protective surface opens the coin up to more environmental damages. These manifest themselves to the experienced collector eye as hairlines and off color unnatural toning. I am not saying that all containment removal on a coin's surface is bad, but unless done by an experienced Numismatist, this is just an easily answered - NO, when someone asks me if they should clean their coins. If you had a Renoir painting, I am sure you would not take a rag and bottle of turpentine and proceed to clean your masterpiece!

Consider those old coins as miniature masterpieces of history, and please leave the original toning and "dirt" on the coins for future collectors to appreciate, please?

If you have any questions - always feel free to write or call.
Thanks.

No comments:

Post a Comment